Tuesday, May 1, 2007

What is bugging me?

What is bugging me?

As I continue to write pre-approvals for people who have no intention of using my services to purchase a home I am faced with the dilemma of playing the game or playing my own game?

One of the services realtors expect now is for lenders to offer free pre-approvals and then once the client gets their pre-approval they go shopping for a perceived better offer. I don’t want to prevent people from shopping and getting a good deal, but I also don’t want to provide my service without some expectation of getting a chance at earning their business. Within the last 2 weeks I have provided this service to the realtor and their client when both knew that they would never use me for their loan, but because I am more available, i.e. nights and weekends, they called on me to get the pre-approval done so they could get their contract accepted. Once the contract was accepted the clients would not even return my phone calls to attempt to give them an interest rate quote. Aside from being rude, it is poor business practice for the Realtor to expect a lender, one that they should consider a business partner to work for free.

If I decide to play the game by my own rules, then I run the risk of chasing off the potential client and Realtor. But am I better without them? I am not ready to answer that question, but for now I will take my chances with Karma and believe that when I do good things for people, good things will happen to me.

Special thanks to Mary Brown for the referral of Mathew and Jill Cobb.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Abused,

One of the benefits of a dr or lawyer is they get to charge by the hr for their services. In sales, we are subject to the mercy of the "i worked my ass off for you and got nothing" syndrome. The best and only respectful thing to do is use their guilt..Remind the realtor that you are the 2nd best LO in the industry and you are in demand but you will do pre-approvals for her all day long..but as soon as u feel abused and that it is a one sided relationship..u are not going to be as committed to her success as she is not committed to yours...

Dream Weaver